The Bright-Landry Hockey Center
Home of Harvard Men's and Women's Hockey
- Men's and women's hockey coaches' offices
- Men's and women's varsity locker rooms
- Two additional locker rooms
- Blue Line Room
- 204 ft. X 87 ft. skating rink
While hockey at Harvard began in 1898 at Franklin Park in Boston, the Crimson has called the Alexander H. Bright Hockey Center home since 1979 and saw its facility renamed to The Bright-Landry Hockey Center in the fall of 2013.
As technology has improved over the last few decades, so has The Bright-Landry Hockey Center. In 2008, it became the first arena in ECAC Hockey to feature a video scoreboard. The four-screened Daktronics display hangs over center ice to provide fans with video and instant replays.
The Bright Hockey Center was dedicated on November 19, 1979, when the Crimson hosted the 1980 U.S. Olympic Team in Cambridge. More than 3,000 spectators turned out for the opening of Harvard's third new athletic facility in three years.
From 1956 to 1978, Harvard played its hockey games at the Donald C. Watson Rink, a facility loved by hockey players for its good, hard ice but cursed by many spectators for its cold temperatures. Harvard made plans for expansion of facilities in the early 1970s with a brand new ice rink to be constructed at Soldiers Field. Costs soared, however, and the project had to be revised. The new rink, estimated to cost somewhere around $5 million, would not be built after all. Watson would instead be renovated.
While Harvard's men's and women's teams played out of local rinks in 1978-79, the "renovation" of Watson Rink took place. The concrete walls of Watson's sides were knocked down and the new borders extended 10 feet in each direction. The wooden ceiling of Watson remained, but a new roof topped it.
Named after former Harvard hockey player Alec Bright '19, the Bright Hockey Center seats nearly 2,800 people, up more than 800 from Watson's old capacity. There is additional space for some 500 standees. Long-time Harvard coach Bill Cleary chose to lengthen the playing surface by five feet to emphasize the skating game he favored. The skating surface is now 204 feet by 87 feet.